Saturday, April 11, 2009

What a week!


So, after 4 days in the hospial with a MRSA infection I am finally home! But, not without pain that is for sure. I went into the hospital Monday night after a MRI with contrast Monday am showed the infection in my foot was getting worse. When I got there they gave me an IV and took loads of blood and cultures of my foot. It turned up that it was infact MRSA again. I was then brought up to my room of isolation. HAHA. I was given Vancomycin every 12 hours and Clindamycin IV every 8 hours. On the 3rd day they tried to do a PICC Line at the bedside 4 times with no luck. I ended up with two bullet size holes in each upper arm. The next morning, they brought me down to an area where a Cardiologist put the PICC Line in under constiant x-ray and it was in within 2 minutes. The picture to the side is what a PICC line looks like. That isn't mine though:) But it looks exactly the same!For those of you who don't know what a PICC line is it is a A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC or PIC line) is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time (e.g. for long chemotherapy regimens, extended antibiotic therapy, or total parenteral nutrition. A PICC is inserted in a peripheral vein, such as the cephalic vein, basilic vein, or brachial vein and then advanced through increasingly larger veins, toward the heart until the tip rests in the distal superior vena cava or cavoatrial junction.


So basically it is an IV with a catheter that leads through the vein that is large that dumbs out right before my heart. I will be on it for a few weeks. This means that I get to give myself IV's at home twice daily. Along with a dressing change of gauze and betadine onmy foot to keep it dry, and to also dry up the MRSA that is colonizing on my foot. Talk about a pain in the butt! The PICC isn't as bad as I thought it would be, and very easy to maintain. Although, this is only my second day doing it:) I think I am doing a great job. Aaron is being a HUGEEEE help and I love him so much. He pretty much has to do everything around here for fear that something could pull the line out. Also, my friends are being so AMAZING!!I love you all!!!!


My dad will be comming down for vacation on Thursday for two weeks!! I can't wait to see him!! And I know he will be a super big help as well.


2 comments:

  1. Not fun. Let me know if you need help with the kids or anything for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this but I'm glad it's getting 'better'... and that's cool you'll have your dad there for vaca soon too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete